9.19.2008

The Economy

So I was pretty excited about selling stock pictures. That is until the agency I used decided to stop licensing pictures. Yea, Photoshelter had traditionally been a hosting service for photographers digital files, but decided to try to improve the photography market by charging a more reasonable price for photographers instead of the microstock agencies who undercut photographers. They also insisted on giving photographers 70% of the sale instead of the ever decreasing percentage the bigger houses are passing on. Good idea in theory, but as long as there's photographers willing to undercut themselves by selling to microstock or the big houses charging subscription rates, there will not be room in the market for agencies like Photoshelter to do the right thing.

So thanks to those of you friends and family who were willing to sign model releases and tolerate me asking for "Active Senior" moments. I might still try to find a place to license these pictures for me.

Maybe I need to look no further than doctors offices. Maybe the insurance companies will pay for a couple prints if the Md's will write a perscription for a nice picture series.

No comments: