8.28.2008

A Personal Challenge

Aaron Johnson pens a cartoon called What the Duck about a Photographer who's a duck. Of course I have subscribed to the RSS feed so I can see his new strip everyday. The other day he illustrated something that I could relate to because of a recent shoot that I had. It was a cartoon about the creative cycle called "Bipoloroid":



I recently did a newborn shoot at my home studio. I've never shot newborns before other than my own son, and those were more happy snaps than portraits.

First of all, the shoot took forever! Newborns don't do anything on your schedule and I was prepared for that. I even took the opportunity to shoot some of mommy and daddy both bottle feeding. But try as I may, I couldn't come up with good poses, even with as much time as I had. Not only that, I couldn't get the poses I researched to look right. I was really struggling. I felt like even forgot how to use my camera and lights. I knew I would have some pictures that they'd love, but I didn't feel like they would be my best pictures, and that bothered me. It bothered me so much that I told Amy that I didn't think I would shoot portraits anymore. Amy thought I was crazy. She knew there were some gems in there. I kinda knew too that when i went back to edit them, I'd find ones that I was proud of too.

I was telling a co-worker about the shoot and my challenges with it and he said "Dude, that should make you want to shoot that even more! Why do things you're completely comfortable with? You'd get bored of that pretty quick. Besides, those pictures are great, and babies are hard to photograph." He's right. As simple as that sounds, he really inspired me.

I've got another newborn session pending and you'd better believe Sweet Caroline will get the Paparazzi treatment when she comes!

Challenges? Bring it on!

A fairly typical family portrait. You gotta have your backup. If all else fails,they've got this:
Loving Look

Part of the down time to urge the infant to cooperate. (yea right!)
Eating with Daddy

Mommy takes a turn with the little one
Baby and Mommy

One of my favorites
Surrounded by loving hands

Actually as a Diptych, I like this one (or these if you still count them as two) the best.
Diptych

2 comments:

Erin J. Photography Blog said...

What'cha talk'in bout Wilitz! Those are great! But seriously, welcome to shooting newborns!

Don and Sher said...

Hi Chuck, nice blog, just stoppped by to check it out